Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
Arrow Limited Edition Blu Review
- Picture/Sound: The picture is presented in a 1:85:1 aspect ratio and restored from a master, meaning the print is crisp and clear and even slightly better than the previous release. Like always Arrow provides a Mono track along with a new 5.1 soundtrack. And like the picture it to is a improvement over Synpases DVD release.
- Package: Unlike Donnie Darko and the House: Two Stories, Brain Damage has a simple slipcover, but it still looks great sporting brand new artwork (and of course reversible cover featuring original artwork for those purists among you) and a booklet. Simple and effective wins the day here.
- Special Features: The real gem of this set is the almost hour long documentary titled Listen to the Light: The Making of Brain Damage. The interviews are solid and entertaining. It's odd that Frank himself isn't interviewed for it, but it's still worth checking out. The other highlight is the feature The Effects of Brain Damage, an in-depth chat with effects genius Gabe Bartalos on making the creature Elmer. If that weren't enough, you also have a featurette Animating Elmer, Karen Ogle: A Look Back, and Elmer's Turf which documents the shooting locations. But wait, I'm not finished. Tasty Memories: A Brain Damage Obsession is a fun mini doc about super fan Adam Skinner as well a director Q&A, trailers, and, for you Zacharely fans, a short film (and final onscreen credit) entitled Bygone Behemoth. Sadly Arrow was unable to bring over Synapses' commentary with Frank and writer/legend Bob Martin. I can't fault Arrow for this, however, as I'm sure it was a rights issue. But, fear not, because a brand new commentary by Frank was recorded just for the release.
- Overall: I was excited to hear that Arrow was tagged to re-release the film because they always take great pains to bring fans a product that is really worth their hard earned cash. Not only is the package well done with some great new art work, but there's also a wealth of new features. And, of course, you get the film itself looking better than it ever has. This makes my short list of best release of 2017 (so far). Just Say Yes to this Blu!
May 1 – 7
May 8 – 14
05/10/1994 – John Wayne Gacy (serial killer, partial inspiration for the prevalence of evil clown imagery in horror) executed
May 15 - 21
05/18/1924 – Priscilla Pointer (actress in Carrie, Twilight Zone: The Movie, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, and C.H.U.D. II - Bud the Chud) born
May 22 - 28
05/26/1913 – Peter Cushing (actor known for his portrayals of Abraham Van Helsing) born (d. 05/26/1994)
May 29 - 31
05/29/1953 – Danny Elfman (composer of scores for The Frighteners, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, and Tales from the Crypt) born
- Main character Eve Copeland is played by Alyssa Sutherland of Vikings.
- Her husband and all around nice guy Kevin is Morgan Spector, better known for his role on Person of Interest.
- Local sheriff Connor Heisel is brought to life by Mad Men’s Darren Pettie.
6. Blood Rage (1987)
5. The Prey (1984)
4. Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare (1987)
3. Creep (1995)
2. The Outing aka The Lamp (1987)
1. Troll 2 (1990)
"Murder Death Killer"
Writer & Director: Nathan Thomas Milliner
Director: P.J. Starks
Writers: Nathan Thomas Milliner and P.J. Starks
"Trick or Treat"
Director: Sean Blevins
Writers: P.J. Starks and Sean Blevins
Director: John William Holt
Wruters P.J. Starks and Jason Turner
Director: Jon Maynard
Writer: P.J. Sparks
"Fear, For Sinners Here"
Writer and Director: Nathan Thomas Milliner
"The Deathday Party"
Director: Justin M. Seaman
Writer: P.J. Starks
- 1. Dance With The Devil
- 2. Wolfman Chuck
- 3. They Pray, My Prey
- 4. When You Die
- 5. Another Confession
- 6. Gore To The Whore
- 7. Rotten Pumpkins
- 8. Lucille
- 9. Ballad Of Ronnie
- 10. Yup, It's Rape Again!!!
Part 2: I Want My Cake
"Every day is a good day that ends in the Vortexx." You can find us in our new no-lag chat room at horrorhost.net. Remember folks, we're the Gooble Gobble Channel. We accept everyone. And we will keep the doors open as long as you keep coming around! If you're a horror host looking for an additional outlet for your show, email Sluggo at email@example.com.
April 1 – 7
04/04/2003 – Beyond Re-Animator released theatrically
April 8 - 14
04/08/1955 – Kane Hodder (actor who portrayed Jason Voorhees in several of the Friday the 13th films) born